1. We believe that:
“For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. He (She) who believes in him is not condemned; he who does not believe is condemned already because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.” –John 3:16-18
2. We believe that Jesus called us to love one another, as he states:
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.” –Matthew 22:37-40
3. Similarly, we are called by God to never return evil for evil, and to turn the other cheek. We can expect persecution as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender Christians. But we are warned not to stoop to the level of our persecutors.
“Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To those who strike you on the cheek, offer the other also.” –Luke 6:27-29
“Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.” –Romans 12:14
“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you of the world, therefore the world hates you.” –John 15:18-19
4. We believe that salvation is between God and the individual and is not open to criticism, question or judgment by others. We believe faith in Jesus Christ is the only justification needed.
It is written: “Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” –Philippians 2:12
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” –Ephesians 2:8-9
“I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.” –Galatians 2:21
5. We believe that we are all equal in the eyes of God, regardless of sexual orientation.
“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.” — Galatians 3:28
6. We believe God made us as gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered persons and has opened God’s realm to us without reservation.
“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father (Heavenly Parent) in my name, God may give it to you. This I command you, to love one another.” –John 15:16-17
7. We believe the Bible is the inspired word of God that must be read in the context it was written. Many of its truths are universal and can be directly applied to modern times. But a majority of canonical scripture is situation and time specific to the culture of its time. Therefore, one must use exegesis and prayerful communion with the Holy Spirit before applying canonical scripture to today’s culture.
“God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For what person knows another person’s thoughts except the spirit of the person which is in them? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit of God, that we might understand the gifts bestowed on us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who possess the Spirit.” –1 Corinthians 2:10-13
8. We believe God is alive and is speaking to God’s children even today. God’s words are found in the Bible but God continues to reveal truths not found in scripture through the Holy Spirit.
“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than a two edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” –Hebrews 4:12
9. We believe God is our refuge and our strength now and always.
“Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free. With the Lord on my side I do not fear. What can man do to me? The Lord is on my side to help me; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.” –Psalms 118:5-7
“The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know thy name put their trust in thee, for thou, O Lord, has not forsaken those who seek thee.” –Psalms 9:9-10
10. We believe in the power of prayer. We are promised that if we give our cares and joys to God in prayer we will be blessed.
“And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.” –Matthew 21:22
“Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds in Jesus Christ.” –Philippians 4:6-7