You are browsing the archive for 2014 September.

Tuesday Meditation: Overcoming Shame

September 30, 2014 in Daily Meditations

... if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For people believe with their hearts and so are justified, and they confess with their lips and so are saved. The scripture says, "No one who believes in him will be put to shame."  -- Romans 10:9-11

Shame ... there's a word many lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people are intimately familiar with.

Read the rest of this entry →

Monday Meditation: What are Your Idols?

September 29, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Aware of the suffering caused by fanaticism and intolerance, we are determined not to be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology, even [Christian] ones. [Christian] teachings are guiding means to help us learn to look deeply and to develop our understanding and compassion. They are not doctrines to fight, kill or die for.   -- Thich Nhat Hahn, Interbeing

This is the first of the Fourteen Mindfulness Trainings Thich Nhat Hahn teaches in what he calls "engaged Buddhism."

Friday Meditation: Serious Doubt

September 26, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Many Christians, as well as members of other religious groups, feel anxiety, guilt and despair about what they call a "loss of faith." But serious doubt is confirmation of faith. It indicates the seriousness of the concern, its unconditional character.  -- Paul Tillich, The Dynamics of Faith

We've all lost things at one time or another, money, friends, lovers, car keys.

Throwback Thursday: Now That’s Community!

September 25, 2014 in Throwback Thursday

by: Candace Chellew

From the July/August 2002 issue of Whosoever Magazine

"The most profound change that occurs in community, and the most simple, is learning the meaning of love."  --John J. McNeill, Taking a Chance on God 

Thursday Meditation: Heroic Humility

September 25, 2014 in Daily Meditations

It is not humility to insist on being someone that you are not. It is as much as saying that you know better than God who you are and who you ought to be. How do you expect to arrive at the end of your own journey if you take the road to another man's city? How do you expect to reach your own perfection by leading someone else's life? His sanctity will never be yours; you must have the humility to work out your own salvation, in a darkness where you are absolutely alone.
--Thomas Merton, New Seeds of Contemplation

"How can you even claim to be a Christian and still remain in the filthy homosexual lifestyle?"

Catholic Church to Gay Couple: “Divorce!”

September 24, 2014 in Issues to Discuss

Paul Huff and Tom Wojtowick have been together for more than 30 years and are legally married.

Wednesday Meditation: Defeating Fear

September 24, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Gays and lesbians need to develop a conscious awareness of the destructive role of fear in their community. Our greatest enemy is not some outside opponent -- it is the fear within us.
-- John J. McNeill, Freedom, Glorious Freedom

I had a friend who was very active in the MCC I attended years ago in Atlanta, Ga. He was a member of the board, he helped coordinate worship, he was everywhere at once within the church. However, outside the church he was closeted. I remember the first time I visited his house and discovered all his gay related books locked away in the hall closet. Even his books were closeted!

Musical Inspiration: Holy Now by Peter Mayer

September 23, 2014 in Musical Inspiration

This is one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite performers, Peter Mayer. Hope you enjoy the song.

Tuesday Meditation: Watch Your Words

September 23, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Aware that words can create suffering or happiness, we are committed to learning to speak truthfully and constructively, using only words that inspire hope and confidence.
-- Thich Nhat Hahn, from the book Interbeing 

Do you watch your words? What kind of things are you saying to people? Are you creating suffering or happiness with the words you choose?

Monday Meditation: “I Want Someone I Can Touch!”

September 22, 2014 in Daily Meditations

And behold, a woman who had suffered from a hemorrhage for twelve years came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment; for she said to herself, "If I only touch his garment, I shall be made well."  Jesus turned, and seeing her he said, "Take heart, daughter; your faith has made you well." And instantly the woman was made well.  -- Matthew 9:20-22