You are browsing the archive for 2014 October.

Friday Meditation: Looking After the Interest of Others

October 31, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interest of others.
-- Philippians 2:3-4, New International Version

How often do we really think about others? We are often so caught up in our own worries and concerns that the interests of others most often escape our attention.

Read the rest of this entry →

Thursday Meditation: Is Your Faith Flabby?

October 30, 2014 in Daily Meditations

All faith must have a little doubt mixed in ... Otherwise it's just flabby sentimentality.
-- Dr. Loveless in the TV show The Wild, Wild West

Do you have faith in God, beyond a shadow of a doubt? Are you rock-solid sure of your faith? If you are, you'd fall under the category of "flabby sentimentality" that Dr. Loveless warned James West about.

Wednesday Meditation: Believing in Jesus

October 29, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Believing in Jesus does not mean believing doctrines about him. Rather, it means to give one's heart, one's self at its deepest level, to the post-Easter Jesus who is the living Lord, the side of God turned toward us, the face of God, the Lord who is also the Spirit."   -- Marcus Borg, Meeting Jesus Again For The First Time

I often receive letters from critics asking me if I believe in Jesus.

Tuesday Meditation: A Bard of the Holy Ghost

October 28, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Yourself a newborn bard of the Holy Ghost, cast behind you all conformity, and acquaint men at first hand with Diety. Look to it first and only, that fashion, custom, authority, pleasure, and money are nothing to you  -- are not bandages over your eyes, that you cannot see  -- but live with the privilege of the immeasurable mind.  --Ralph Waldo Emerson, Divinity School Address  [From The Portable Emerson]

Emerson delivered this message to the graduating class at Divinity College in Cambridge in 1838. As any seminary graduate will recognize, these words still speak deeply to a modern day student of religion.

Monday Meditation: Spiritual Suicide

October 27, 2014 in Daily Meditations

The real reason so few believe in God is that they have ceased to believe that even a God can love them.   -- Thomas Merton, No Man is an Island

Many LGBT people reject the good news of Jesus Christ for the reason Thomas Merton states. So many in our community do not believe they are worthy of the love of God.

Friday Meditation: Take a Chance on God

October 24, 2014 in Daily Meditations

We gay people must risk believing that God is not homophobic, even though the human church is. We must learn to accept our gayness as a gift from God and live it out joyfully in a way that is compatible with God's law. In that process of self-acceptance and in our new awareness of God's love for us, we can then let go of our anger.  -- John J. McNeill, Taking A Chance On God

When I think back on when I first learned a word for what I had always felt -- lesbian -- I was angry with God. What a cruel joke to play on a 16-year-old! Read the rest of this entry →

Throwback Thursday: God’s Irrevocable Call

October 23, 2014 in Throwback Thursday

By: Candace Chellew-Hodge
From Whosoever's Sept/Oct 2007 issue

"For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable."   -- Romans 11:29

The church is in turmoil. Those with more conservative beliefs are in an uproar that the church is now including those with new ideas, those with ways they deem sinful and unnatural. The church is appealing to its higher authorities to do something about these unorthodox believers that have invaded their churches. They are disrupting services, demanding inclusion and causing divisions among the churches.

Thursday Meditation: Abundant Life

October 23, 2014 in Daily Meditations

I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.  -- John 10:10

Whenever I think of an "abundant life" I always think of money.

Wednesday Meditation: Lay Your Burdens Down

October 22, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.  -- Matthew 11:28-30

There's an old saying: "No rest for the weary." That's how I've felt these past few weeks as I work on many ongoing projects.

Tuesday Meditation: Do Not Be Ashamed

October 21, 2014 in Daily Meditations

We but half express ourselves, and are ashamed of that divine idea which each of us represents.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance, [From The Portable Emerson]

There is a lot of fear and shame in the LGBT community.