You are browsing the archive for 2014 November.

Friday Meditation: Give the World Your Beauty

November 28, 2014 in Daily Meditations

How did the rose ever open its heart and give this world all of its beauty? It felt the encouragement of light against its being. Otherwise we remain too frightened. -- Muslim mystic Hafiz

Yesterday, I spent the day among the people I call my "family of choice." Most of them are members of the Columbia, S.C., church that I pastor along with their friends and family that joined us. It was a joyous occasion, but one that never could have happened without the light of encouragement they have given me.

Read the rest of this entry →

Thursday Meditation: A New Take on Gratitude

November 27, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happy Thanksgiving to our U.S. Whosoever Community members!  Today, we gather with family and friends to celebrate with feast and fellowship.

Wednesday Meditation: Performing a Holiday Miracle

November 26, 2014 in Daily Meditations

"Give up your need to be right. Instead, seek to be in relationship with those who oppose you. Stop engaging in pointless and frustrating arguments over whose view is 'right.'"   -- Candace Chellew-Hodge, Bulletproof Faith: A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians

Sometimes, the hardest advice to take is your own! I, like many LGBT people, struggle with the holidays because I come face-to-face with family members who do not approve of my sexual orientation, but worst of all, they virulently oppose my political orientation!

Tuesday Meditation: God in You

November 25, 2014 in Daily Meditations

God is not in you in the same sense that a raisin is in a bun. That is not unity. God is in you as the ocean is in a wave. The wave is nothing more nor less than the ocean expressing as a wave.   -- Eric Butterworth, Discover the Power Within You

I think one of the biggest challenges for lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender people who are working to reconcile their sexual orientation or gender identity and their spirituality is the total sense of separation they often feel from God.

Monday Meditation: Resisting Grace

November 24, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Working with what we're given until it wears us through seems to be the grace we resist.
-- Mark Nepo, Reduced to Joy

I think, sometimes, we lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender folks have perfected the art of resisting grace.

Friday Meditation With the Mystics: Trying to “Misfit” In

November 21, 2014 in Daily Meditations, Meditation with the Mystics

A Fancy Event  -- A poem by Hindu mystic Tukaram

I was invited to a fancy event and when
I got there one of the guests said,

"Tukaram, your shirt is on backwards and so are your pants,
and it looks like your hair never heard the word comb,
and your shoes don't  match."

I replied, "Thanks, I noticed all that before leaving, but why try to fool anyone?"

I immediately recognized myself in Tukaram's words when I first read this poem. Every since I can remember I've been the one who seems to arrive in every situation with my pants on backwards, mismatched shoes and unkempt hair.

Thursday Meditation: Justice for the Oppressed

November 20, 2014 in Daily Meditations

The Lord works vindication and justice for all who are oppressed.  -- Psalm 103:6

I never thought I would see this day, but today South Carolina, the state where I currently reside, has become the 35th state to recognize same-sex marriage.

Wednesday Meditation: Teach Me Your Way, O Lord

November 19, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart to revere your name.  -- Psalm 86:11

"Teach me your way, O Lord." This is the prayer we should all be uttering each day because in this age of division and theological and political certainty, I believe we, especially in America, have become unteachable.

Tuesday Meditation: No More Biting

November 18, 2014 in Daily Meditations

I could not lie anymore so I started to call my dog 'God.'
First he looked confused,
then he started smiling, then he even danced.
I kept at it: now he doesn't even bite.
I am wondering if this might work on people?

--Hindu mystic Tukaram

Two years ago we adopted a German Shepherd puppy. I promptly named her, The Lord, since it says in Psalm 23, "The Lord is my shepherd."

Monday Meditation: Repent!

November 17, 2014 in Daily Meditations

Dear Editor: If you are a homosexual, you are a sinner and need to repent, turn to Christ and find deliverance and salvation. Then, sin will no longer have the rule over you!!

I pray you will get to know Jesus Christ intimately and get victory of any and all sin, for without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. The unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Turn to the book of Revelation. In that book you will find a whole list of people with various sins that have been dominating them in their lifetime, and they are all in the lake of fire!!

Unsigned

I get so many letters of condemnation, I usually don't read them very closely anymore, but this one caught my eye. Meant to condemn me as sinner because of my sexual orientation, I found the letter to be oddly reassuring, and a blessing in disguise. You only have to read the letter closely to see its uplifting message.